Thursday, September 1, 2011

Adele


So there I was...

At work, doing two pedicures at the same time. A mom and her daughter. And they were talking la la la, and then, Adele's new song Rolling in the Deep ("we could have had it baaaaaaaaad"....that one) comes on over the radio. And then the conversation turned ugly.

The mother starts with "The singer of this song looks nothing like I thought. When I was watching the Vh1 music awards I didn't expect THAT!"

The daughter "Oh I know, I was expecting someone more like that girl with the dreads from american idol"

The mom "Well I just wasn't expecting someone so BIG..."

daughter "Ya you would never thought someone like that would sound so good."

the song changed and then they started talking about Katy Perry.


I was embarrassed and upset all at the same time. Here I was scrubbing their nasty feet and they were going on and on about a full figured girl, like me, like she was beneath them.

They were average people, nice enough looking. I know they weren't directing their comments at me. But their words stung me. I thought them over while I was swimming last night.

Here is this successful, young women who can sing her heart out and she is being judged on how she looks. Like fat people can't have talent? Because why?? I don't understand. 

3 comments:

  1. Those who are uncomfortable in their own skin will tear others down to make themselves feel better. Wahoo for swimming and time for your own thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sometimes find it interesting WHY people even care what singers look like, it's not like her picture is being broadcast while she's on the radio. I say just enjoy the music!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I start feeling the same way when I'm around people that describe someone as "big girl." I'm like... hello, one of those big girls are right here!

    ReplyDelete